A few years ago, my close friend Susan invited me over for a craft day. We drank her most refreshing homemade lavender lemonade, ate paleo snickerdoodles, and assembled Joy Journals together. I can sill remember that day so vividly because I was just beginning my friendship with Susan. Susan has always been a friend that pushes me towards Jesus, reminds me of the power of prayer, and keeps me accountable to growing in discipleship.
Susan is a true friend for so many reasons. Making Joy Journals with her that day always reminds me of how our friendship began – following Jesus. A life following Jesus is a life filled with joy. And that is the intention of keeping a Joy Journal – reminding yourself that Jesus is our joy. Writing down every possible thing that brings you joy reminds you of how loving and sovereign our God is. Sometimes it’s a sunset; sometimes it’s a friend to pray with; sometimes it’s folding laundry and listening to music; sometimes it’s a trial that brings suffering. All the time, it’s knowing that God is by your side, faithfully present with you through all of it.
The Bible has a lot to say about joy and how to practice it.
- Psalm 95:2 – Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise!
- Colossians 3:17 – And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
- Philippians 4:6 – do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:18 – give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
So today I thought I would share a few things that brought me joy, thankfulness, and helped me to worship Jesus. Some may sound trite, but they are real ways that I have been loved by God today.
- A morning latte with a little honey
- Running work errands – getting out in the sunshine
- Walking during my 15 minute breaks
- Times of prayer throughout the day
- Reminders of the desire for children
- Relying on God for my strength and leading
- Really spicy Indian food for lunch
- A good annual review at work today. Encouragement in my work was such a blessing.
- Laundry to fold – clothes to wear
- Having the time to bake blondies after work for my Community Group
- Having a Community Group that we love to attend
- My husband comes home to me every single day. He loves me and gives me hugs every time he walks through the door. This is a huge source of my joy and I praise God for displaying His faithfulness to me in this way.
What brings you joy in this day?!