SO, I turned 27 this week. And it feels good. No, it feels very good.
When I was in Jr. High, I thought 27 was OLD. I also thought that I would probably have, like, seven kids by now. But that’s a whole other story. All that to say, I haven’t always had the best expectations when it came to my age. So…as a 26 year old, I was freaking out about turning 27. Dumb, I know. But it felt so much OLDER in my head.
Well, surprise-surprise, I was wrong again. I just feel good! Excited, hopeful, peaceful, and humbled.
I received so many sweet and caring birthday texts/calls from people on Monday. I loved each and every one. My favorite came from my sister in Alabama (love you Sare) and my other favorite came from my friend Luanna. She said “Happy Birthday” and proceeded to tell me why I am now her favorite age. I asked her why 27 (she is now in her early 30’s) and this what she wrote:
“Lots of reasons. Seemed like I was finally old enough to have some wisdom/life experience under my belt, but still carefree (no kids). We had a tight group of friends we did real life ministry with and I finally had a job I wanted that paid more than just peanuts. Also, I was in super good shape. Yep, 27 was a good year for me. Plus, I mentally got stuck there so now you’re my age. 😉 “
Luanna has been a friend of mine for only a few years, but it has felt like longer, in the best possible way. She is my peer and also someone I really look up to. She is a lovely person and wonderful friend. I am so thankful God placed her and her family in my life. Plus, she really makes me laugh…like, big belly laughs and long silent laughs. The best.
Anyway, back to the text. This text was so interesting to read because I could relate to it 100%. It’s a really true depiction of how I am feeling about 27 right now. Here’s how I relate to Luanna at 27:
- I love where God has brought me, what He has taught me, how He has challenged me, and the ways He is transforming me. All glory be to Christ.
- I absolutely cannot wait to have children. I am still waiting for that blessing to come, but until that day, there is a lot my wonderful husband and I can be care-free about: schedules, dinner times, date-nights, having a nightcap, reading books, spontaneous adventures, binge-watching Netflix, and being bride & groom.
- I am at an awesome church with an incredible community. So many brothers and sisters to support me, love me, pray for me, do ministry with me…and vice-versa. God regularly blows my mind with this reality. He has made me very rich.
- I just got a super cool job at a local software company. At first, it felt like I was living someone else’s life. Now I’m in it. And I’m loving it so much. It’s challenging for sure, but it finally feels like I’m where I want to be.
- I just started pouring more of my time and energy into eating really well and working out more. It’s been fantastic and just what my husband and I are needing right now. And I’m really excited that one of my birthday presents was a fitbit!
- I also plan on having lots of adventures this year: Texas, surfing, Florida, Disneyworld, Alabama, camping, and COOKING. A creative kitchen goal for me this year is to cook/bake 29 adventurous things before I turn 28. I want to make macarons, my own cheese, chocolate croissants, cornish hens…oh the possibilities. This will most likely happen on what we like to call “cheat days”. I’ll try my best to post the outcomes here.
So there you have it. 27 is already shaping up to be a good year. A very good year.
What did you like about being 27?