Honeycrisp apples are my husband’s favorite apples. Ice cream is my favorite dessert. Honeycrisp apples IN ice cream had to happen sooner or later! It really helped that our local farmers market had a huge sale on honeycrisp apples…and let’s just say we went a little crazy.
Honeycrisp apples are known for their “sweet taste and distinct juciness” with an “explosive crunchiness.” My husband says, “It’s the perfect apple to hold in your hand and destroy with your mouth.” WOW! And because honeycrisp apples really are that good, they are what make this ice cream out of control.
For ice cream, I trust my friend Nicole. She really knows what she is talking about and she had the perfect recipe for me to go off of! Please enjoy this ice cream curled up on the couch with your favorite person and a good movie. Sounds like a great date night in to me!
Ingredients for Honeycrisp Apples:
- 2 large honeycrisp apples – peeled, cored, and cut into small chunks (2 cups)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/8 tsp. salt
Ingredients for Ice Cream:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp. cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup garnulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons agave
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
- Prepare and measure your ingredients for the spiced apples. Combine into a medium saucepan. Cook the apples over medium heat, stirring often, until the apples are tender (about 10 min.). Let the apples cool a bit and then place them in the fridge to chill.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, (I used my Kitchenaid mixer), whisk the cream cheese with whisk attachment, until smooth.
- In another large bowl, fill with cool water and ice. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 Tbsp. of the milk with the cornstarch until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the remaining milk with the cream, granulated sugar, agave nectar, and vanilla. Bring the milk mixture to a boil and cook over moderate heat for 2-4 minutes until the sugar dissolves.
- Once the sugar is dissolved, remove the saucepan from the heat and slowly whisk in the cornstarch mixture. Return the saucepan to the heat and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium high and cook unitl mixture is slightly thickened.
- Slowly whisk the hot milk mixture into the cream cheese until well incorporated and smooth. Whisk in the salt.
- Set the bowl in the large bowl of ice water and let stand, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
- Pour the ice cream mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Add the chilled spiced honeycrisp apples during the last minute of churning.
- Pour into an airtight container and freeze for at least 3 hours before consuming. ENJOY!!!
This ice cream is rich and, at the same time, refreshing. I decided to drizzle some caramel sauce on top…good decision. Whipped cream or chopped walnuts would also be a perfect pairing.
Enjoy a bowl of Honeycrisp Apple Spice Ice Cream with family and friends this Thanksgiving! It would be great alongside the pumpkin pie. And blessings to you and yours during this sweet fall season.