Last month, my close friend Brittan and I collaborated for the first time with cooking, crafting and sipping yummy drinks….all for the sake of blogging. And for fun. We have A LOT of fun! We call it “Martha Meal” and it’s my favorite!
Martha Meal is inspired by Martha Stewart Living magazine: the photos, her calendar, the DIY sections, and the FOOD! Oh, the glorious food.
This was our menu/collaboration this month:
- Cotija Corn Tacos with Lime and Mango (Brittan…coming soon)
- Cotija Black Bean Tacos with Cumin Sweet Potatoes and Jalapeno
- Candied Key Lime Margarita
- Homemade Butter (Brittan…coming soon)
- Crispy Chili-Cinnamon-Sugar Tortillas with Homemade Butter
- DIY: Coffee Filter Water Lily Centerpiece (Brittan…coming soon)
Our day began by dying the coffee filters in beautiful shades of red, pink and green. They looked so beautiful hanging out to dry. For the full DIY check in with Brittan soon. She is planning a GORGEOUS wedding right now, so the list of DIY’s for her is pretty much endless.
Then we were ready to eat! Here we go!
Cotija Black Bean Tacos with Cumin Sweet Potatoes and Jalapeno
These tacos were just the right amount of spicy, sweet and hearty. I will be making these tacos again and again. This black bean and sweet potato salad would also make a great side dish to any meal. Serves 4.
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 Tbsp. EVOO
- 2 tsp. cumin
- Sprinkle of salt and pepper
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup of cotija cheese, crumbled
- 2 tsp. lime zest
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 very small jalapeno, seeded and diced
- Lime wedges for serving
- 12 corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Peel and chop your sweet potato into cubes. Toss the sweet potato cubes in olive oil, cumin, and salt and pepper and lay on to a rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 25 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- In a medium bowl, combine the beans, lime zest, lime juice, cotija cheese, jalapeno, scallions, and cilantro. Toss in the sweet potatoes when ready.
- Broil tortillas on a baking sheet. Dish desired amount of black bean and sweet potato salad into tortillas. Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges
The smoky cumin on the sweet potatoes and the sharp cotija flavor cut by the zesty limes….it’s truly mouthwatering. Want to come to our place for dinner? Taco Tuesday just got a whole lot better. And with a cold margarita? Things just got better.
And what meal would be complete without dessert? After filling up on tacos and margaritas you really feel like something simple.
Crispy Chili-Cinnamon-Sugar Tortillas with Homemade Butter
This dessert takes cinnamon sugar toast to the next level. All the goodness of cinnamon, sugar, and melty butter with the crunch of a crispy corn tortilla and the bite of chili powder. Serve as many tortillas you can spare and as many as you can possibly fit in your belly.
- Butter (Easy Homemade Butter recipe by What She Would Have Worn soon!)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- Corn tortillas
- Broil tortillas on a baking sheet.
- Mix together sugar, cinnamon & chili powder in a small bowl.
- Spread butter onto warm tortillas, sprinkle with sugar mixture, and fold into quarters.
- Bite into the goodness. Enjoy!
Martha Meal strikes again! Tacos + Margaritas + Mariachi music in the background = One heck of a Tuesday Night! Much much love.