A few weeks ago I made some delightful morning treats. I had taken a long walk by the beach with a friend and really worked up an appetite. It wasn’t lunch time yet, but i really wanted something satisfyingly yummy. I had some milk and bananas I needed to use up pretty quickly…so, what did I make? Spice-Infused Milk and Sweet & Salty Banana Chips. Best morning treats ever!
The spice-infused milk is very subtle on its own, but more robust when added to other ingredients and/or beverages. It was an excellent way for me to add something extra special to my morning coffee. Such incredible flavor. Later that week, we experimented with pouring a little bit into our homemade chocolate chip cookie milkshakes. Outstanding! Next time I would love to try it in black tea, over my oatmeal or in a hot chocolate!
- 2 cups of milk
- Spices: I used 2 cinnamon sticks, 1 whole nutmeg (sliced in half), 4 star of anise, 1 vanilla bean (split open), 1 Tbsp whole cloves. You could also throw in a dried chili pepper, cardamom or fresh ginger slices.
- Add milk and spices to a small saucepan. Heat over medium and stir occasionally.
- Once the mixture begins steaming, cover the saucepan and move it off of the burner. Let the mixture steep for one hour.
- Strain over a large jar with a tight lid. Refrigerate up to 3 days. Reheat gently before using. Enjoy!
- 2 bananas
- 2 Tbsp. of brown sugar
- Coarse grain sea salt & black pepper
- Baking sheet & parchment paper or a Silpat
- Slice your bananas thin. Lay them on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper or a Silpat.
- Sprinkle them with the brown sugar and the coarse grain sea salt and black pepper.
- Bake at 400°F for 16-20 minutes. “Every oven is a little different so be sure to keep an eye on these! You want the edges to begin to get crispy but the centers will still be a little soft and chewy. It would be very easy to burn or undercook them (mushy, no good!), so be sure to keep an eye on them.” – Emma
YUMMY!!! I am definitely going to be making these again. And with a spiced coffee…too good to be true.
The Spiced Milk recipe is inspired by Martha Stewart Living (December 2012) and the Salty Sweet Banana Chips are from A Beautiful Mess.