What is the perfect side dish to the perfect turkey chili? I know. Some delicious Crackling Corn Bread Muffins!
Fact: These corn bread muffins are legit…and I really do not use the word legit. They super buttery, crispy on the outside, and fluffy on the inside. I think the corn kernels are my favorite part. And they are best served hot and fresh out of the oven.
- 1 cup stoneground cornmeal
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. of table salt
- 1 cup of frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 6 Tb. (3/4 stick) of unsalted butter, melted
- corn grits & kosher salt for sprinkling on the top of each muffin
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl. Then whisk in the milk, honey, melted butter, corn kernels, and egg.
- Pour batter into each prepared muffin liner until all the batter is used.
- Sprinkle the top of each muffin with some corn grits and kosher salt.
- Set the muffin tin on the center rack of the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- The corn bread muffins are done when the edges are lightly browned, the tops are crackling, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Enjoy the southern-style goodness with more butter and honey if desired.
NOTE: Adding 1 cup of cooked, diced bacon would be amazing in these as well. If you decide to use bacon, change the amount of salt you add to 1/4 teaspoon.