Tonight was a soup and salad kind of night. It’s cold and dark outside, but that doesn’t mean it won’t be warm and bright in our little apartment!
Fact: I really love making soup. Maybe it’s because my husband loves eating soup? Tonight seemed like a great night to try out a new recipe, and it was a huge success (if I do say so myself). It was posted in my this abundant list post from last week, but here it again: White Bean, Escarole and Chicken Sausage Soup. I doubled the recipe so that Bret and I could have it for lunch the rest of the week. Also, I only had one can of cannellini beans, so I added a can of garbanzo beans and it still turned out great! This recipe is definitely worth filing away in my recipe box for another cold day.
BUT, what really made the meal was my Sweet Kale Salad. It was sweet, tangy, crisp and super clean. And even though salad is a cold dish, this one makes your tastebuds happy and warms the heart. Here’s my recipe:
- 3-4 cups of fresh kale (packed tight)
- 1 small green apple, cored and chopped
- 1 medium size carrot, peeled in thin strips
- 10 basil leaves, pulled of stem and cut chiffonade
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- In a large bowl, toss all ingredients together.
- Drizzle with your favorite tangy or sweet vinaigrette. Homemade dressing is usually the route I take, but for this salad I used one of my favorite store-bought brands – BRIANNNA’S Real French Vinaigrette. YUM.
Please let me know if you have any questions and, if you try it, let me know how it goes! What is your favorite meal to have on a cold winter’s night?