I was at Sprout’s Farmers Market the other week and there were miniature eggplant on sale: 15 for $1.00! Holy cow!
You can’t get 15 of anything for $1.00 these days, so I snatched some up!
However, once I got home I realized I had no idea what to do with them. And, like usual, I visited one of my favorite sites for inspiration: Pinterest!
It’s so fun to take the beautiful and delicious ideas on Pinterest and make it for real!
I found a recipe for Oven Roasted Mini Eggplant that was simple, but looked pretty tasty.
This miniature eggplant dish would be great as a vegetable side dish to dinner, an appetizer served with a dipping sauce and paired with cheese, or on a slice of fresh baked artisan bread with EVOO. I adopted what I loved from the original recipe and modified the rest to my liking. Here it is:
- 15 miniature eggplant
- 2 Tbsp of EVOO or oil of choice
- 1-2 tsp of kosher salt
- 1-2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Rinse each miniature eggplant in a strainer and pat dry. Then poke all sides of each eggplant with a fork.
3. Place eggplants on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with oil, then sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Toss together to coat each eggplant evenly.
4. Put in your oven for 30-40 minutes for roasting.
5. Serve hot, room-temperature, or cold! I prefer hot.
*Note: The color on the miniature Eggplants changes to a reddish brown after they have been roasted. This means they will not be as visually appealing, but still just as tasty. These would be great dipped in balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and oregano!
What deal or special ingredient have you taken a chance on lately? I’d love to hear it!